Saturday, February 13, 2010

An Interesting Night Away

Yes, it is really before 7am on a Saturday morning. I just got done cleaning up after my sleep test last night.

For as long as I can remember(which if you know me could be as far back as yesterday) I have had problems sleeping.  I've tried melatonin, a pill that has the body's natural chemical to help you sleep, and other sleep aids. My problem is not falling asleep, it is staying asleep. I wake up a lot during the night. So nothing has helped. One doctor suggested that it is brought on by my weight gain, but I have had this back as far as high school and at that time I was at a healthy weight. I'm always tired. I can't remember the last time I woke up feeling refreshed. Doesn't matter if I'm in bed for 10 hours or 5 hours. It is the same.

I finally got tired of it. I talked to my doctor and he referred me to this sleep study. That is what I did last night. I left poor Courtney home alone to go and do my sleep test. They had me fill out a questionnaire and then they started hooking me up with wires. They put them on my legs, head, face and chest. The funny thing is they pasted them on. So when Courtney came to pick me up this morning I had paste in my hair and on my face. Next they put straps around my waist and chest so they could monitor in what position I was sleeping when things occurred etc. Then they put something on my finger and something to measure my breathing in my nose. It was quite an ordeal. Finally they let me go to sleep.

It was quite an evening. When I'd wake up I would want to roll over. However, when you have lots of wires coming out of you it is a very interesting task.I had to carefully move and try not to rip anything out. All in all it was a success. I came home and cleaned all the paste off of me. Courtney is glad to have me back. She said she woke up last night and was sad I wasn't there. It's over now and I made it through the night in one piece and hopefully will have some answers soon. That was my interesting night away.

No comments:

Post a Comment