Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Patience

I don't think it matters who you are, where your from or from what situation in life you come from, there will always be opportunities in life that require your patience. Whether it is patience needed that can be caused by certain situations or patience needed when dealing with other people. In my life I have been both good and bad at having the proper amount of patience needed to deal these different things.

I remember when I was studying Russian before I went to Russia to serve as a missionary for two years. One brother who was learning with me picked it up really fast and seemed to be able to speak and understand a lot better than I could. It was really difficult to see that as I struggled to grasp even simple things. I'm a firm believer that whatsoever we ask God in faith, believing that he will give it to us, he will give it to us. I made the mistake of asking for patience as I tried to learn the language. I'll explain.

I've learned over my many years that we ask for and how we receive those answers can be completely different than how god chooses to answer our prayers. Example. If I wanted patience then God will bless me with opportunities to be patient. In my case he did and I quickly learned to be certain I was ready to receive what I was asking for. I learned that patience is a virtue and that it is received through our learning to be patient when patience is necessary and with help from God as we pray for it.

There is an awesome scripture that I have often thought about found in Luke 21:19 It reads "In your patience possess ye your souls". I love the imagery. As I ponder on this more and more I get new meanings and deeper understanding of this simple phrase. I think love/charity go hand in hand with patience. Those who have patience either have a love of God or for the people with whom they show that patience to. It could be both. But when we have patience we are controlling our thoughts and emotions and in a way we possess our souls. This is just one interpretation. I have found others. What are your thoughts on patience or this scripture in general?

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Shawn. I needed that reminder today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this post all the more because I too have made the request in my prayers for more patience only to find "opportunities" as you call them to practice patience.

    I've come to love this quote by Elder Maxwell from an Oct. 1980 Ensign. He says, "Patience is tied very closely to faith in our Heavenly Father. Actually, when we are unduly impatient, we are suggesting that we know what is best—better than does God. Or, at least, we are asserting that our timetable is better than his. Either way we are questioning the reality of God’s omniscience."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that quote from Elder Maxwell. Thanks Deb! I don't think we realize it but we do make that assumption when we aren't patient with the Lord's timetable.

    ReplyDelete