Monday, January 28, 2013

Angels among us

It has been a crazy week. A week ago Sunday, we were awakened by Jackson's crying at 1am. I went to go check on him thinking he had wedged his leg in the bars again. Come to find out, he had thrown up and then proceeded to throw up again. Court doesn't do well with vomit so I got cleanup duty and she got to give Jackson a bath. Monday more of the same and now a cough.

Wednesday, Jackson was sick again and now his cough was worse. He hadn't been eating well either. We decided to keep him home. I was staying home with Jackson and Court and I decided we should take him to the doctor. The doctor said it was croup. Don't know what it is? You should look it up. Not fun. We got some meds and took him home now knowing that he was contagious and couldn't go to daycare.

Court and I split days between work and school to be home with him. Later Court told me the medicine he was on was a steroid and would lower his immune system and could make him susceptible to other things. Yes, this was my poor attempt at foreshadowing. Jackson kept getting worse. We called the doctor and he thought it sounded like Jackson might have pertussis, or whooping cough. He had us start him on an antibiotic. However, Jackson kept getting worse and eating and drinking less. One night he woke up and was coughing like crazy. We tried to go in and comfort him and ended up spending like 4 hours trying to get him to calm down and go back to bed. It was then that Court suggested I give him a blessing. We believe that Jesus Christ restored His church again in our day. With his church he also restored the priesthood or power and authority to act in his name. I was able to give him a blessing that he would fully recover. We were able to finally get him back to sleep again.

It is Saturday now. Court was supposed to take a midterm Friday but because of Jackson's health never really got to study or could take the test. Saturday was her last chance to take it. She left in the morning to go study for an hour or so and then take the test. Jackson and I stayed home. Anyone who knows Jackson knows that even when he is sick he never stops moving, playing and smiling. We only can tell when something is wrong if he is sleeping worse or eating worse. Well, Saturday morning he didn't move. He laid on my chest for like 3 hours solid and didn't move. He drifted in and out of sleep as we watched tv. He felt hot so I decided to check his temperature. He had a fever. When Court got out of her test we decided to take him to the doctor but it was closed so we went to the emergency room.

After poking and prodding Jackson, taking blood and doing x-rays. We find out that he not only has croup, but that he also had RSV, was extremely dehydrated and had a fever. They got him on an iv and got us admitted to the hospital. The exciting thing was after an hour on the iv he started becoming the same wiggly we know and loved but still very sick. Sunday afternoon they let us go home.

He is doing better. But the doctor asked us to come in again and check up with him. Some of Jackson's blood work came back today. Turns out Jackson has croup, RSV and a bacterial infection. Poor boy has his mother's genes. He now has a nebulizer which our doctor, who is also a neighbor and friend, let us borrow to administer some of his medicine to him.

Today he is drinking his bottles and eating a little more. His fever is gone for the time being and his cough is getting better. Through it all I've been sick and Courtney is starting to get something too. We are tired both physically and mentally.

There has been tons of support, people offering help; others stopped by the hospital. We have appreciated the outreach and love. Those who know us know we would never ask for anything. Sunday we came home exhausted and we hadn't gone grocery shopping. We were hoping someone one would offer to make us dinner to no avail.

This brings me to my title. This morning Court received a text from a very good friend of ours saying dinner was being provided tonight. It was an answer to prayers. I thought about it for the rest of the day. I was in tears as I was thinking about these wonderfully, amazing friends of ours and how they didn't ask what they could do to help but just did it. They didn't let distance stop them from serving. They were truly angels. I miss them and I am grateful for their examples. They are true disciples of Christ. Always serving others around them.

I learned a lot of things from this experience. One, I was never too worried for Jackson. After his blessing a couple nights earlier I knew everything would be ok. I'm grateful for the priesthood. I know that it is real and have seen it bless many people in my life as it has been used to bless others. Two, we can all be angels in someone's life if we choose to act when we see a need like our dear friends did for us. I hope to be a little more sensitive to others and  their needs. I hope to be able to act and not wait to be asked. Maybe I can be an angel in some other person's life.

Here are some pictures from Jackson's stay at the hospital and with his nebulizer at home.



Jackson needed his Mickey on his lap while he watched his Mickey Mouse DVD.
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I hope Jackson is feeling much better and I'm so glad to hear you were well taken care of during this tough weekend! We'll be praying for all of you to be feeling better!

    ReplyDelete