Monday, January 7, 2013

Reflections

Another year has come and gone. We have seen tragedy and heartache as well as many great blessings and joys in our lives this past year.

We moved into a new place. We came from a small 2 bedroom apartment in the middle of a busy college town to a giant home in a peaceful and neighborly area. We are truly blessed to be able to house sit while some dear friends of ours are out serving the Lord for 2 1/2 more years. We are definitely spoiled and grateful for this opportunity.

We welcomed the birth of our son Jackson into our family. He has always been a happy and smiley baby. He brings so much joy to Court and I.  He continues to amaze us with the things he learns and the ways he can make us laugh. It is hard to believe he is almost one already. There are days when we wish we could sleep a little longer or when he is sick and difficult to deal with but I can't imagine our lives without him!

Courtney has been busy being amazing. She manages to juggle school, work and a club of which she is the president. She is also an amazing mother and an even better wife to put up with me. She is an example of what a disciple of Christ should be. She is always looking for ways to serve. She puts others before herself. She is and has always been supportive of me. I love her dearly! I love to brag about her any chance I get!

I am in my third job since graduation. I have loved them all. Each helps me to learn and grow more and has helped me better provide for my family. I have no idea where I'll be 5 years from now. I recently received a calling to advise the Deacons(12-13 year old boys) in our ward(congregation). It is very daunting and humbling task for me that I would be the one to lead and guide them at this critical age in their lives. The Lord constantly blesses me and helps me to know what to do and say in order to help them. They amaze me at their understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ and astound me at their willingness to rise up and meet the challenges I give them.  I look forward to the challenges and blessings that will come through this service.

Courtney and Jackson have had their share of health issues this year. We hope this new year will bring better health to them both. Courtney's hometown and family and friends were devastated by a what could only be called a tragedy. There have been many heroes and many examples of Christlike love that have come from this experience. It has brought people together in a way that nothing else could have. I know my testimony of God's plan for His children has been strengthened as we have turned to Him for peace during this time.

We are not perfect. We make mistakes.  I know I do. Through all of this, I'm thankful for my Savior Jesus Christ. I know that through his atoning sacrifice I can be forgiven and I can become a little better each day as I strive to become more like Him. I know Heavenly Father has a plan for us that we might return home to Him again one day. I know he loves us. I see His hand in my life each day as I look for it. My prayer is that we can all be a little bit better this year. Most importantly, I hope we can all be grateful each and every day for the blessings that are ours. May we share the love of our Savior with those around us and enjoy each and every day.

 - Shawn



No comments:

Post a Comment